Re: Synchronization with Database on Laptops

From: Robert Benzinger <r_benzinger_at_yahoo.de>
Date: 14 May 2002 23:31:28 -0700

Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:<abrmo002871_at_drn.newsguy.com>...
> In article <f7a191fc.0205140920.701472be_at_posting.google.com>,
> r_benzinger_at_yahoo.de says...
> >
> >Hello Group!
> >
> >One of our customers has a Standard Edition production database and several
> >laptops with Personal Edition installed. I have to write a script that
> >periodically copies the new production data to the laptops. Until now I do it
> >by hand using exp/imp but this is not an option for the future.
> >
> >8i Enterprise Edition has transportable tablespaces, which would be a natural
> >choice, as I understand the docu. But that option is not available in Std Ed.
> >My boss does not like the idea to tell them to upgrade their licence and pay a
> >lot of money for this single feature (that he has already sold them ...).
> >
> >Do you know any acceptable alternatives or should I simply tell them to "eat
> >the toad" (as we say here, no offence meant to Quest :-)
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Robert
> >
> >PS: The server is Windows 2000, 8.1.7, the laptops are Windows '98, also 8.1.7.
>
> There are a number of ways of doing what you want to do, but which is most
> suitable can't be determined with the information you've given so far. Here are
> some of your choices (the first two assume you may not have connectivity between
> the laptops and the main database at the time of refresh, the others assume you
> do):
>
> 1. Export / import - you say that's not an option for the future but I can't
> see why not. Export the data you want, ftp to the laptop, import it back in
> again
> 2. Spool the information you want to a flat file, use SQL*Loader to load the
> information back in
> 3. Into the connected options now. Use materialized views to get the
> information across.
> 4. Use the copy command in SQL*Plus
> 5. If you're dropping and recreating the objects, use PCTAS
>
> Hmm, any others that I've missed guys?
>
> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>
> Pete
>
> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

Thanks for the information. What I meant is that doing import/export by hand is too clumsy. I suppose I will write a script, as Glen A Stromquist suggested. Our application is in constant development, which means that packages and stored procedures will always get modified and added. Although they would make it easier, I think that not even transportable tablespaces would solve my problem alone, because stored procs get stored in the system tablespace.

Probably I am just another developer that looked for the magical switch that does his work ...

Robert Received on Wed May 15 2002 - 01:31:28 CDT