Re: Raw usage in Solaris

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 14 May 2002 20:39:17 -0700

yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) wrote in message news:<b3cb12d6.0205140906.1379e652_at_posting.google.com>...

> You don't need Veritas or SDS to use raw. In fact, if you do, that's
> not called raw any more. To allow oracle to read from the raw device,
> run chown oracle:dba [thedevice] as root.

Thanks.

That's what I thought. So I went to /dev/rdsk and did that for the "cxtydzsw" that I wanted to use. It silently finished, but no change whatsoever to the ownership when I checked with "ls -al".

Then I went to Sun Solaris support site and dug for raw devices. Found a reco to use SDS or VxV in order to set this, as Solaris will silently ignore the ownership change unless there is an LVM of some sort in place.

"format" doesn't allow ownership changes, all it does is manage the partitions and/or format/label the disk.

> Direct I/O may speed up or slow down db file read depending on whether
> the file is sequentially read (at OS or filesystem level). Filesystem
> page cache helps a lot by prefetch if the read is sequential. But
> using direct I/O allows you to give the memory that otherwise would be
> part of page cache to Oracle buffer cache, which manages Oracle data
> caching more intelligently. Read Steve Adams' Ixora News - March 2002
> newsletter.

I'm aware of all this, chief. Been using raw since V6 Oracle, many moons ago. It's in configuring Solaris without an LVM that I have the problem, not in using raw itself. Received on Tue May 14 2002 - 22:39:17 CDT