Re: Installation of Oracle Apps on Win XP

From: PIYUSH CHANDRA <chandra_at_prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 00:15:56 GMT

Hi:

Thanks for your help. But as you rightly said, setting up DNS can be very tricky. I spend the whole day today trying to set up Simple DNS plus I downloaded from download.com tried to configure it. If I do a Lookup, the DNS server responds fine but when I ping the server from the command line, it says server failure/server not found error.

I tried then to run the Oracle Apps Installer again and the system validity check gave the same error. Unable to find Host <name>

I have tried all means and its just not able to locate the DNS server.

Any more suggestions? would appreciate any help.

Thanks

"Bruno Cossi" <Bruno.Cossi_at_Consultant.com> wrote in message news:3NHD8.1516$w04.499046_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi,
>
> Oracle does not guarantee all of necessary products (Applications Server,
> DBMS...) to run on Windows XP but out of my experience I know it works.
> BUT:
> In order to install Oracle Applications, you must have a domain that is
> accessible by the installer. As your laptop is a standalone, i.e. does not
> log into a domain server, you would have to install DNS (Domain Name
Server)
> on the laptop itself.
> Microsoft DNS can not be installed on WIndows XP.
> This is probably a deal-breaker.
>
> There is number of DNS freely available on the internet, you may try to
> search www.download.com for some DNS that supports Windows XP. That might
be
> the solution - however I have to warn you, all of DNS servers for Win XP I
> have seen were very complicated to setup.
>
> As per the other errors - remember that Oracle Applications do not work
with
> long folder names... so use the old 8.3 convention (do not enter
C:\Program