Re: Raw usage in Solaris

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:53:09 GMT

Pete Sharman wrote:

> In article <3CE144F7.3FB7C835_at_exesolutions.com>, Daniel says...
> >
> >Yong Huang wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, Nuno,
> >>
> >> You don't need Veritas or SDS to use raw. In fact, if you do, that's
> >> not called raw any more. To allow oracle to read from the raw device,
> >> run chown oracle:dba [thedevice] as root.
> >>
> >> Direct I/O may speed up or slow down db file read depending on whether
> >> the file is sequentially read (at OS or filesystem level). Filesystem
> >> page cache helps a lot by prefetch if the read is sequential. But
> >> using direct I/O allows you to give the memory that otherwise would be
> >> part of page cache to Oracle buffer cache, which manages Oracle data
> >> caching more intelligently. Read Steve Adams' Ixora News - March 2002
> >> newsletter.
> >>
> >> Yong Huang
> >> yong321_at_yahoo.com
> >
> >Is this available on the web? I can't find anything at ixora.com that
> >points to a newsletter.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Daniel Morgan
> >

> Daniel
>
> You must need more coffee! ;)
>
> On Steve's web site in the left hand frame there is a Newsletter link. Maybe
> you know a different ixora? Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)
>
> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>
> Pete
>
> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

Nor should you have resisted. But if you go to http://ixora.com you will not see it. They are two different companies. Who undoubtedly will, having discovered this, engage in some international legal squabble.

And yes I do need more coffee. Make it a triple.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue May 14 2002 - 14:53:09 CDT