Re: Synchronization with Database on Laptops

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 14 May 2002 11:58:08 -0700

In article <f7a191fc.0205140920.701472be_at_posting.google.com>, r_benzinger_at_yahoo.de says...

>Hello Group!
>
>One of our customers has a Standard Edition production database and several
>laptops with Personal Edition installed. I have to write a script that
>periodically copies the new production data to the laptops. Until now I do it
>by hand using exp/imp but this is not an option for the future.
>
>8i Enterprise Edition has transportable tablespaces, which would be a natural
>choice, as I understand the docu. But that option is not available in Std Ed.
>My boss does not like the idea to tell them to upgrade their licence and pay a
>lot of money for this single feature (that he has already sold them ...).
>
>Do you know any acceptable alternatives or should I simply tell them to "eat
>the toad" (as we say here, no offence meant to Quest :-)
>
>Thanks,
>Robert
>
>PS: The server is Windows 2000, 8.1.7, the laptops are Windows '98, also 8.1.7.

There are a number of ways of doing what you want to do, but which is most suitable can't be determined with the information you've given so far. Here are some of your choices (the first two assume you may not have connectivity between the laptops and the main database at the time of refresh, the others assume you do):

  1. Export / import - you say that's not an option for the future but I can't see why not. Export the data you want, ftp to the laptop, import it back in again
  2. Spool the information you want to a flat file, use SQL*Loader to load the information back in
  3. Into the connected options now. Use materialized views to get the information across.
  4. Use the copy command in SQL*Plus
  5. If you're dropping and recreating the objects, use PCTAS

Hmm, any others that I've missed guys?

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue May 14 2002 - 13:58:08 CDT