Re: where to put TNS_ADMIN var in registry for 817 client?

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:24:20 GMT

On Tue, 14 May 2002 00:06:56 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>"Ed Stevens" <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow> wrote in message
<snip>>>
>> add the line
>>
>> NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = WORLD
>>
>> to your SQLNET.ORA file. This will cause 8.1.7 to use a default domain of
>> world, just like 8.0.5 did without being told.
>> --
>> Ed Stevens
>> (Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)
>
>Not true.
>
>This doesn't add .world to all the service definitions in tnsnames.ora
>It only adds .world to the service name you are specifying.
>
>Regards
>
>--
>Sybrand Bakker
>Senior Oracle DBA
>
>to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

Which I thought was what the OP was describing when he said:

<quote>
For whatever reason, I used to have to add .world to each tnsname, and it would be ignored by 805 client (or used somehow).

With 8.1.7 client, it seems like I actually have to use tnsname.world as the whole string..
</quote>

Leading me to believe that he already had '.world' on his TNSNAMES and was trying to avoid tacking it on to his connect strings -- trying to get 8.1 to treat it the same way as 8.0 did. (Actually, I *think* 8.1 does treat it the same as 8.0 *given the same set of SQLNET parameters*, but 8.1 sets those parameters differently at installation time.)

But then, I thought it was a bit telling that he went on to say

<quote>
Anyway, i don't think I am going to look into docs, it might be some parameter that needs to be changed.
</quote>

which could lead to all kinds of inferences about his willingness to actually do something toward solving his perceived problem. ;-)