Raw usage in Solaris

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:59:35 +1000

Anyone tried to make Oracle use raw partitions with just the vanilla Solaris install?

There is a note somewhere in the Solaris support site about this not being possible: a LVM of some sort (Veritas, SDS) must be used as Solaris itself won't allow anyone other than root to open the raw partition.

Because I could not install SDS nor Veritas, I used instead a ufs file system, mounted with:
mount -F ufs -o noatime,forcedirectio <device> <mount point path>

Seems to work OK and very fast. Is this a good way of doing the file systems when no LVM is available?

TIA for any feedback.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto