Re: Taking down a STANDBY database

From: Rick Anderson <Richard.Anderson_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 05:52:32 -0400

The simplest thing to do is set the primary database LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_n parameter to DEFER, where "n" is the archivelog destination of the standby database (i.e. "alter system log_archive_dest_state_2=defer;"). You can do this dynamically - there is no need to bounce the primary instance.

This allows you to preserve the destination information, so that when you want to turn the standby database back on, you simply set the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_n parameter to ENABLE, and you are off & running.

Hope this helps.

Rick