Re: Corrupt redo log file - database only gets to mount

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 07:34:27 -0700

Jeff:

In your case I would suggest you should go for your previous backups. If you don't have backups
and the you are not much concerned about the data integrity and some how you want the database
back you can use some underscore parameters to FORCE the database open.

Based on the previous shutdown mode you will be able to open the database or will get some
bunch of ORA-600s. THis is because of the mis match of the SCNs in the file headers and you
have to use certain event to bump the SCNs globally (say 1 billion) and the database will be usable.
In any condition you need to rebuild the database (EXPORT-IMPORT) to be on track with OWS.

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan
Bangalore, INDIA

"Jeff Traigle" <traigle_at_si.umich.edu> wrote in message news:B905CE9E.13623%traigle_at_si.umich.edu...

> Like I said, the redo logs were not duplexed. Three redo log groups with
> only a single member in each. Very bad for recovery as they've now
> discovered. If they were duplexed (as best I can recall), it would be a
> simple matter of copying one of the good member files in place of the bad
> one. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that point. :)
>
> As it is, I was thinking if they have a good copy of that redo file on
tape
> and since the database is in archivelog mode, then maybe they could get
the
> system back up that way. That may not help as you suggest, but I was
> grasping at straws to avoid having to tell them for sure they were looking
> at a rebuild because their system was poorly laid out and managed.
>
> If I actually get tasked with helping them beyond what I already
discovered,
> then I'll be calling Oracle. Just thought I'd post tonight here to satisfy
> my curiosity and see if there was something obvious I could direct them to
> do... other than call Oracle, of course. :)
>
> It's a tiny database and I'm guessing is not production critical since
they
> waited around to get me on the phone and didn't seem panicked about it
being
> down.
>

> On 5/13/02 7:31 PM, in article 3CE04CD8.8460AB6F_at_exesolutions.com, "Daniel
> Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> > Jeff Traigle wrote:
> >
> > I'm a little uncertain of what you mean by back-up copy of the redo log.
There
> > are hopefully multiple redo logs in each redo log group and multiple
groups.
> > But
> > these, alone, are not going to get you very far. Especially if they were
> > backed
> > up as the backup likely bears no relationship to the state of the log
files at
> > the moment they became toast.
> >
> > Can you clarify?
> >
> > I think, were I you, I would have opened an iTAR at metalink by now.
This has