Re: Corrupt redo log file - database only gets to mount

From: Jeff Traigle <traigle_at_si.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 02:36:20 GMT

On 5/14/02 10:34 AM, in article 3ce07140_at_news.mhogaming.com, "K Gopalakrishnan" <kaygopal_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jeff:
>
> In your case I would suggest you should go for your previous backups. If you
> don't have backups
> and the you are not much concerned about the data integrity and some how you
> want the database
> back you can use some underscore parameters to FORCE the database open.

Yeah. Judging by what I found on MetaLink concerning backup and restore scenarios, it looks like their only option worth taking is restoring all of the datafiles from the last full system backup and rolling forward with the archive redo logs they have. I don't know what their backup scheme is, but, hopefully, it's better than their database management. I sent the MetaLink info to the local guy who contacted me about their situation and suggested that he might want to call Oracle concerning the procedures.

I also suggested that he duplex those online redo logs as soon as the database is operational again. Someone obviously wasn't paying attention during training because that was one thing that was stressed repeatedly in the class I took three years ago.

Oh well. I can tell it's going to be very scary doing an infrastructure assessment for our plants in the near future if this is any indication of what other facilities are doing.

--
Jeff Traigle
traigle_at_si.umich.edu