Re: Corrupt redo log file - database only gets to mount

From: Jeff Traigle <traigle_at_si.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 00:12:16 GMT

Like I said, the redo logs were not duplexed. Three redo log groups with only a single member in each. Very bad for recovery as they've now discovered. If they were duplexed (as best I can recall), it would be a simple matter of copying one of the good member files in place of the bad one. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that point. :)

As it is, I was thinking if they have a good copy of that redo file on tape and since the database is in archivelog mode, then maybe they could get the system back up that way. That may not help as you suggest, but I was grasping at straws to avoid having to tell them for sure they were looking at a rebuild because their system was poorly laid out and managed.

If I actually get tasked with helping them beyond what I already discovered, then I'll be calling Oracle. Just thought I'd post tonight here to satisfy my curiosity and see if there was something obvious I could direct them to do... other than call Oracle, of course. :)

It's a tiny database and I'm guessing is not production critical since they waited around to get me on the phone and didn't seem panicked about it being down.

--
Jeff Traigle
traigle_at_si.umich.edu