Re: RMAN connection problems (Solaris/Oracle8i)

From: D. Joseph Creighton <djc_at_cc.umanitoba.ca>
Date: 13 May 2002 21:48:51 GMT

In the last exciting episode, D. Joseph Creighton <djc_at_cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

}I'm beginning to suspect that RMAN is calling scripts somewhere that rely
}on $ORACLE_SID being set to the instance you want to be working with.  In
}writing some local scripts we've found this to be an issue as well.

I dug up the documentation that clarifies various connection issues.

If I follow this bit, things work:

> Connecting to RMAN Using Operating System Authentication
> 1.If RMAN is running on the same machine as your target database, set
> the ORACLE_SID to the target database.

If I follow this bit, things do not work:

> Connecting from the Operating System Command Line
>
> To connect to RMAN from the operating system command line, enter the
> following:
>
> % rman target sys/target_pwd_at_target_str catalog rman/cat_pwd_at_cat_str

This further enforces my belief that the documentation is lying to me and that the ORACLE_SID takes precedent over the @dbname option to RMAN.

Unless I'm overlooking something...

--
"I get enough exercise just pushing my luck." - Anon.
D. Joseph Creighton [ESTP] | Systems Analyst, Database Technologies, IST