8i: connect / as sysdba not equivalent to connect internal

From: Marcel Kraupp <marcel.kraupp_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 13 May 2002 09:19:58 -0700

Hello

I was (mis-)led(?) to believe that
connect / as sysdba
is equivalent to
connect internal
on 8i.

However, I found out that they're not. If someone could point me to the differences I'd be very thankful.

Here's what happened.

I wanted to bounce my database. I connected / as sysdba and did a shutdown immediate. However, that shutdown took very long, so I decided to do a 'shutdown abort'. This is what happened

$ sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Mon Mai 13 17:40:20 2002

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect / as sysdba
ERROR:
ORA-01089: immediate shutdown in progress - no operations are permitted

SQL> shutdown abort
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
SQL>
SQL> connect internal
Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> shutdown abort
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> exit
Disconnected

The point is: "connect internal" is supposed to be deprecated and replaced by a / as sysdba, but internal seems to be more powerful as I can complete with it an action that I couldn't have otherwise (or had no clue how)

So, if someone knows an answer to this, please let me know

MK Received on Mon May 13 2002 - 11:19:58 CDT