Re: Seeking Advice: MS SQL DBA learning Oracle?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 14:32:31 GMT

Dusan,
Right on. Yes, the developer should have at least a basic understanding of how the backend works. Just the other day I had a developer want to create temp tables because that's what you do in Sybase. I spent some time explaining Oracle to them and they were pleased as punch that they didn't have to deal with that mess anymore. What also surprises me is those developers that don't read the APPLICATION developers guide. So they don't put performance in from the start - "we will tune later." Performance is part of the daily job not something you bolt on later. Okay, I occasionally use the _run_faster=true parameter, but usually I make the developers fix it. :-)

Jim

> > You have IT experience which is VERY good. However, you must start as
> > a developer and NOT as a DBA. There are no entry level DBA jobs. You
> > have to be more of a programmer first for 2-3 years then you may be
> > able to move over. Anyone who says you can start as a DBA is either
> > lying or an idiot.

<snip for size>