Re: Oracle 7.3.4 and firewall

From: MyndPhlyp <nobody_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:19:55 -0400

I seem to recall that Connection Manager will operate against good ol' SQL*Net as well as Net8. You don't have to install Connection Manager on the same machine as the RDBMS. If you have Connection Manager available, try installing it on a completely separate machine behind the firewall and configuring it for your SQL*Net Listener on the v7 RDBMS installation.

The problem is with the way SQL*Net and Net8 negotiate with the client. While the initial "conversation" begins on Port 1521, after the client's authorization is confirmed the Listener tells the client to communicate on a different Port number (above 1024). It is very similar to Native Address Translation (NAT) used on firewalls. Without Connection Manager, you would have to open up every Port from 1024 on up - not something any reasonable network manager would be willing to do.