Re: Learn Oracle in three days?

From: charlie.peltier <here-antispam)_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 10:37:39 GMT

It really depends.

Everyday I find something new in Oracle for almost all the Oracle books on shelves even though 80% of them are the same. I guess nobody can say they know enough about oracle.

But I went to several sites that their dba almost knows nothing about Oracle, and their databases are still running. They never did any perfomance tuning, never did any sql tuning, they did not even know what optimizer_mode is, just take the default, but their databases are still running.

In my mind, if it is a small shop, as long as you know how to install, change some parameters in init.ora, bounce the database, know how to backup and recovery, and most importantly, know how to communicate with metalink, you can be on your way to manage a small database. To know all this, three days of intense study may be enough.......

cheers