Learn Oracle in three days?

From: Michael Wilkinson <mwilkinson_jr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 May 2002 17:25:07 -0700

Greetings - masters of table extents, and other things arcane. This neophyte has a ludicrous question for you: Is it possible for me to learn oracle in three days or less? I've worked with other RDBMS in the past, and know the difference between a fragment and a chunk, but my first pass through the oracle documentation had convinced me that I might have just entered into seventh circle of hell.

Why three days you ask? Well, I've just found out that's how long I have before I have to take delivery of a product from an outsourcer that uses oracle as a backend. I'm not a DBA myself, but our in-house DBAs only know Informix and some MSSQL and are already running for cover, leaving the young and foolish (that's me) holding the bullseye. Since I figure the thing will chug along on own for a few days (it's got to at least work for a few hours for the outsource company to prove that it works) my first concern is obviously logical logging and backups.

If you were in my shoes, what books and tools would you recommend I have to survive this suicidal oracle piano drop?

Thanks in advance,