Re: Seeking Advice: MS SQL DBA learning Oracle?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 12 May 2002 15:50:29 -0700

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3CD94650.A4E88ED2_at_exesolutions.com>...
> SQLJoe wrote:
>
> > I am a recently laid off MS SQL DBA of five years. I would like to have to
> > some advice on learning Oracle.
> >
> > 1)How difficult is it to learn Oracle? What are the differences between MS SQL
> > and Oracle? I know both are ANSI-92 complaint RDBMS. What is the major
> > differences between SQL, SQL plus, and PL/SQL?
> >
> > 2)Given the fact that both DB2 and MS SQL are taking market share away from
> > Oracle, how does its future look like? Is the declining marketshare due to
> > lesser technology or dubious pricing schemes by Oracle?
> >
> > 3)How will someone like me benefit from learning Oracle? How will it increase
> > my marketability in the job market?
> >
> > 4)What are some of the best books to learn Oracle? What is the best way to
> > learn Oracle?
> >
> > 4)How important is Unix knowledge to a Oracle DBA?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Jinsoo
> > MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD, CCNA
>
> The differences are very large. Not superficially but as you get deeper and deeper
> into the products. And ANSI-92 compliance isn't one thing. It is many things.
> Including the ability of vendors to implement the standard by different methods
> and with different syntaxes.
>
> If you want to learn Oracle your previous experience will be valuable but you will
> need to approach it with an understanding that much of what you assume is valid
> may not be. For example Oracle has something basic to its model called
> multiversioning that doesn't exist in any form in SQL Server. Locks are not a
> limited resource. Temp tables are almost never used and certainly not built
> on-the-fly in procedures.
>
> My suggestion would be to start of with Tom Kyte's book "expert one-on-one
> Oracle." Especially the first three chapters.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Daniel,

You have made some excellent posts on here. However, suggesting Tom Kytes book to someone just learning Oracle is a really bad idea. He assumes you know quite a bit in writing it. I really think you should start with the basics and start with the developer side of it. PL/SQL and Forms. Since you wont get a DBA job for 2-3 years anyway. Received on Sun May 12 2002 - 17:50:29 CDT