Re: Seeking advice: Oracle9i OCP certification

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 12 May 2002 11:10:45 -0700

In article <24637f40.0205120414.52445e96_at_posting.google.com>, prodbsolutions_at_yahoo.com.au says...

>I have been into Progress DBMS for a couple of years. I have been
>thinking of taking an Oracle9i OCP certification exams in the near
>future, but I am new to Oracle and have only some Oracle database
>administration knowledge (such as quering tables, and upgrading tables
>structures). I have had Oracle8i installed on my Windows NT 4.0
>server, and it soon will be upgraded to Oracle9i.
>
>I would like to get one set of Oracle certification books, probably
>OCP Oracle9i DBA Certification Boxed Set (by Jason S. Couchman), and
>using all the resources available to get an Oracle9i OCP
>certification.
>
>Has anyone, with similar background as mine, passed the exam by doing
>the same (or similar) way?
>
>Thank you in advance.
>
>Danny
>Progress Developer

Danny

Almost certainly people have done this before. In fact, one of the best Oracle instructors I knew came from a Progress background, and learnt Oracle by playing around with it, asking questions and so on. WIll it be easier if you had experience? Undoubtedly.

As for the books, I would suggest searching through this newsgroup for some discussions going back a few months. Apparently Couchman's books had a number of errors in the 8i and earlier releases. A lot of that information was provided to Jason, but I'm not sure if it was in time to have an effect on the 9i books. I also haven't personally looked at the 9i release of his books, so I can't verify whether changes were made.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sun May 12 2002 - 13:10:45 CDT