Re: Assistance needed with creating tables in oracle.

From: John Russell <netnews3_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 18:17:06 GMT

On Sat, 11 May 2002 21:21:16 -0700, "KPK" <kpkeller_at_alltel.net> wrote:

>> > In our application, we make use of temporary tables quite a bit.

>> > How can I accomplish this same task within 8i using a temp table?

I usually declare a temporary table to match the structure of an existing table by doing:

create global temporary table temp_rows as select * from docset where 1 = 0;

(i.e. don't put any data into the temp table).

The rest that you described sounds like the behaviour of Oracle temporary tables. There is a clause ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS you might need to add depending on how long your sessions last. (I have very brief sessions to handle web requests, so I let the system clear out the table when the session ends.)

John

--
Got an Oracle database question?
Try the search engine for the database docs at:

The opinions expressed above are mine and do not
necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation.