Re: Assistance needed with creating tables in oracle.

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 13:46:42 GMT

Yes, but I think the additional point is that management (as KPK points out) is:

 "Although they (mostly) have no experience in Software Engineering or development processes, they look at "time" and "cost". That's it. How much time will it take to get "something" out to the customer and how much will it cost them before they go out and look for another vendor that can do it for less"

(the they is upper management) Clearly they aren't focused on quality - again the they is upper management. Since they don't have experience with software development this causes a problem; likely lower down the food chain management thinks that a database is a database - like a car is a car. Hence Sybrand is correct and why you felt you may have gotten some shouting as to "don't do it that way". Lots of people are tired of having to clean up habits due to differences in database architecture's and being victims of a management that usually is technically incompetent and unappreciative of nuances - well maybe nuance is too subtle - of tools.

Jim