Oracle Memory Usage for Java JDBC Connection on Solaris

From: Wells <wshammou-NoSpam_at_optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 06:25:39 GMT

Hello all,
We have approximately 50 Java applications on a Solaris box which connect to an Oracle 8.1.6 on the same box. The box is has a single CPU with 4GB of memory (needless to say, the system is crawling but we're acquiring new hardware soon).

Each of these Java apps creates and holds onto at least 2 JDBC connections to Oracle for the duration of its life time. What I am trying to figure out is how much memory each connection takes up.

When I do: "ps -eo user,vsz | grep oracle", I see each connection process taking up approximately 200MB. Is this the right way to get what I am looking for? I find it odd that each JDBC connection can take that much memory.

Some additional questions:
Besides the SGA and connection processes what else in Oracle uses up memory and how can I see how much?
Each of the Java connections often sits idle for an extended period of time (please don't ask why the app is designed this way, it drives me nuts too). Would we see memory usage if Oracle was running with multi threading on? how would that affect performance?

Thanks very much,
Wells... Received on Sun May 12 2002 - 01:25:39 CDT