Re: Seeking Advice: MS SQL DBA learning Oracle?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 14:51:25 +0100

master-dba wrote:

> don't event try to find a job as oracle-dba in this economy !!!
>
> db2 is better than oracle, go for db2 and ms-sql
>
> now db2 is nr 1 , but ms will overtake this market very soon
>
> ms-sql-net-enterprise is the monster , it will benchmark oracle into the
> ground with the new cluster-technologie !!!
>
> "SQLJoe" <sqljoe_at_aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I am a recently laid off MS SQL DBA of five years. I would like to have
> > some advice on learning Oracle.
> >
> > 1)How difficult is it to learn Oracle? What are the differences between MS
> SQL
> > and Oracle? I know both are ANSI-92 complaint RDBMS. What is the major
> > differences between SQL, SQL plus, and PL/SQL?
> >
> > 2)Given the fact that both DB2 and MS SQL are taking market share away
> from
> > Oracle, how does its future look like? Is the declining marketshare due to
> > lesser technology or dubious pricing schemes by Oracle?
> >
> > 3)How will someone like me benefit from learning Oracle? How will it
> increase
> > my marketability in the job market?
> >
> > 4)What are some of the best books to learn Oracle? What is the best way to
> > learn Oracle?
> >
> > 4)How important is Unix knowledge to a Oracle DBA?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Jinsoo
> > MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD, CCNA

Likely that explains why there are currently 52 Oracle jobs in the Puget Sound area of Washington State (in short Seattle, Bellevue, and Redmond WA) and 55 SQL Server jobs. And why the Oracle jobs pay more (source http://www.dice.com 11-MAY-2002). Likely also explains why for the past four years almost all of my consulting engagements have involved companies moving their software from SQL Server to Oracle. Last year a decision made by a little company that knows nothing about technology named AT&T Wireless.

Thanks again for the laugh.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat May 11 2002 - 08:51:25 CDT