Re: Upgrade from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 really slow

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 11 May 2002 08:06:18 -0700

In article <abiokd$823$1_at_paris.btinternet.com>, "Craig says...

>Hi all.
>
>I have just installed 8.1.7 64bit on our new SUN Fire V880 running Solaris
>8. I have exported a db from our live 8.1.6 system and re-imported it into
>the 8.1.7 and batchjobs that took around 5 miinutes now take hours.
>
>I have rebuilt all the indexes and analyzed the schema's (although we force
>rule based optimisation)
>
>anyone seen this before ?
>
>--
>Craig Ballingall

Not really enough information here to help you, but here's a couple of suggestions:

  1. Compare the init.ora files for the databases. Are the parameters equivalent?
  2. Check the I/O spread for the datafiles. Do you have a roughly similar I/O spread?
  3. Probably not enough to cause changes of this magnitude, but be aware that there are changes in the optimizer between 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 (can't remember exactly what they are now, but I have seen other clients run into minor performance issues until they understood how to take advantage of the differences in the way the optimizer works in 8.1.7).
  4. What exact version are you on? From memory, there were some memory leaks in 8.1.7.0 (not that you would see problems like this for that reason, but it's probably better to be on 8.1.7.3)

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sat May 11 2002 - 10:06:18 CDT