Re: Users on a single CPU (sparc)

From: simong <xx_sg1_at_niks.demon.co.uk>
Date: 11 May 2002 04:41:56 -0700

Thanks to all those who've replied so far. I can hang a couple of SCSI discs on this U10 if I need to, or push the RAM up - but I'm intrigued by suggestions that RAM/discs might be a problem; with this box I thought it would be more likely to be the shortage of processor cycles !
Would it really help to push it up to maybe 1GB RAM ? My 70 concurrent sessions are exactly that. They won't all be particularly active at once, but if they do all start updating and querying at the same time will this box just die ? I can probably get away with restricting the big reports, but I don't want to even start out on this if I'm likely to saturate the system at 30-40 users even if the Oracle side is reasonably well tuned.

A very long time ago I was involved with an Oracle6/Forms 2.3 application that quite happily supported 15 users running on a 386 (with 24 Mb RAM, if I remember correctly !) However, where I am now they initially installed the current application on the same U10 and it just crawled even with only 15 users - but it only had IDE discs and 128 MB RAM, and the Oracle side was badly configured. We've done some limited testing using 256 MB RAM and the one SCSI disc, and simulating maybe 20 sessions, and the peformance at that loading seems fairly reasonable (until the long reports kick in...!!)

But 20 sessions was about as many as the 3 of us here could manage to put together- I figured it'd be easier to ask around about our chances of getting up to 70!!

SimonG Received on Sat May 11 2002 - 06:41:56 CDT