Re: Users on a single CPU (sparc)

From: Trifon Anguelov <trifona_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 03:47:47 GMT

Simong,

Not so good hardware to handle this kind of load. It is interesting how 512 Mb RAM could be sliced for Oracle 8i (probably) and 70 user sessions. They are not concurent most probably. Anyway, you will have performance issues if long running reports started in the same time most of those 70 users are doing OLTP.

Oracle 8i and upward have nice feature called Resource Managment where you can create resource groups and plans and assing users to them. It is designed just for case like that - daily OLTP and nightly batch jobs processing. Check it out.

IMHO I am skeptic about your hardware to be able to handle 70 concurent user sessions.

Check the latest Oracle DBA forums for more information, scripts, tips and tricks:
http://www.dbaclick.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi

Hope that helps,

Trifon Anguelov
Senior Oracle DBA