ORA-03113 "end-of-file on communication channel"

From: Shekhar Mahadevan <e_ceo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 21:35:05 GMT

Folks:

              Configuration: WL 5.1.0 SP 11
                             Oracle 8.1.7
                             Solaris 2.7
                             firewall present between WebLogic and
Oracle
                             WebLogic JDBC 2.0 driver for Oracle
                             OCI 8.1.5 libraries
                             refreshMinutes=10 in WL db conn
properties
                             (we think refreshTestMinutes -the real
param-
                              will be set to 1 minute: the default)

We have a typical J2EE application on WebLogic. After idling for several hours, we're seeing the following exception thrown in WebLogic: (due to what seems like some sort of timeout) -->

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

This is followed by -->

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE

        at weblogic.db.oci.OciCursor.getCDAException(OciCursor.java:230)
        at weblogic.jdbcbase.oci.Statement.executeQuery(Statement.java:165)
        at weblogic.jdbc.pool.Statement.executeQuery(Statement.java:41)
        at com.adhesion.jb.DbUtils.fieldSelect(DbUtils.java:108)
        at com.adhesion.jb.GateKeeper.updateOnlineAccount(GateKeeper.java:676)
        at com.adhesion.web.handlers.data.AccountSummaryDataHandlerImpl.refreshInstAccounts(AccountSummaryDataHandlerImpl.java:790)
        at com.adhesion.web.handlers.action.AccountSummaryActionHandler.refreshAction(AccountSummaryActionHandler.java:56)
        at com.adhesion.web.AbstractActionHandler.performAction(AbstractActionHandler.java:91)
        at com.adhesion.web.handlers.action.AccountSummaryActionHandler.performAction(AccountSummaryActionHandler.java:30)
        at com.adhesion.web.WebDispatcher.dispatchAction(WebDispatcher.java:397)
        at com.adhesion.web.WebDispatcher.processRequest(WebDispatcher.java:172)
        at com.adhesion.web.WebDispatcher.prepareRequest(WebDispatcher.java:269)
        at com.adhesion.web.WebDispatcher.doGet(WebDispatcher.java:229)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:120)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:941)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:905)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.invokeServlet(ServletContextManager.java:269)
        at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:391)
        at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:273)
        at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:129)

What is weird is, after the idle period, some entity-bean persistence to the database works!, and immediately after: when a presentation layer servlet directly accesses the database thru a connection from the same weblogic db connection pool, we get the above errors.

Have you seen anything similar? Any ideas or clues on how to fix/workaround this?

-Shekhar Mahadevan
 Adhesion Technologies Received on Fri May 10 2002 - 16:35:05 CDT