Re: Bad Generalisations by Don Burleson

From: Tianhua Wu <twu_at_workmail.com>
Date: 10 May 2002 11:02:06 -0700

"George Barbour" <gbarbour_at_csc.com> wrote in message news:<3cdb83ee$1_at_pull.gecm.com>...
> Thank you very much for your reply.
> "Tianhua Wu" <twu_at_workmail.com> wrote in message
> > Everybody makes mistakes, so does expert. And mistakes do not make
> > you a less person (or expert). Also the sentence should not be taken
> > away from context. However, sometimes an author makes speculations
> > (or tips) in his book, and that could affect people and database
> > administration behavior. I remember I read a book (a very common
> > Oracle book from Oracle press) a long time ago, it claims Oracle will
> > not reuse the space in a index after delete or update (I can not
> > recall the exact sentence), anyway, I took that and acted accordingly
> > for quite some time until I took Oracle Internal Seminars more than a
> > year ago...
> There is nothing wrong with questioning authority!

Since you reply to me post, I think you misunderstand my point. I agree with you that There is nothing wrong with questioning authority. My point is that true export always have strong evidences to back what he claims. What really hurt is some so called "expert" make speculations or draw conclusions too quick and put them in the book. I enjoy books by authors who have really worked and spent a lot of time with their subjects, and put their insight (and what they learned from their mistakes) into their book, such as Tom Kytes, Steve Adams, Jonathan Lewis, James Morle. What I really do not like is people who edited Oracel Docs, Metalink Notes, plus their speculation, and there are way too many this type of books!
Thank you. Received on Fri May 10 2002 - 13:02:06 CDT