Temp tablespace vs. tablespace ... temp

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:58:11 GMT

Platform: Ora 8.1.7 on NT

Would someone care to enlighten me on the differences in CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE and CREATE TABLESPACE ..... TEMPORARY.

The explanation in the docs is pretty terse. As I understand it, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE allocates a temporary file that gets dropped and recreated on demand, though I don't see what creates that demand. CREATE TABLESPACE ..... TEMPORARY creates a permanant tablespace to hold transient objects like segments created to perform disk sorts. I also see that local management cannot be used with the TEMPORARY option of CREATE TABLESPACE.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)