Re: Oracle PE vs. Enterprise...

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:39:37 GMT

parser wrote:

> We have an application we are evaluating which "needs Oracle as a backend"
> and we've been told that the the Personal Edition would would work as well
> as the Enterprise edition. (Windows 2000 Server installation)
>
> The application will be used by two groups of up 2-3 client users each, with
> relatively low transactions per day. It's not a large institution
> application, but will be used by two small information centres needing to
> manage document delivery requests.
>
> Could anyone comment on what key limitations does PE have?? Is the PE
> limited to desktop applications only, or can it be used in a very small
> networked application setting??
>
> thanks,

I think the limitation you should concern yourself with here is not technical but legal. Personal Edition is not intended for multiple users and, while I haven't read the license text, I've no doubt from your description that what you propose would be something that would violate the license terms.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri May 10 2002 - 09:39:37 CDT