Re: lies damn lies and benchmarks

From: Martin Burbridge <pobox002_at_bebub.com>
Date: 9 May 2002 17:33:22 -0700

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3CDA971D.87DA9797_at_exesolutions.com>...

> One example of how this impacts development is the need in SQL Server to
> create on-the-fly temp tables, break up transactions, and perform frequent
> commits, in order to avoid over-extending the resource.

Absolutely. If an application introduces procedural loops, creates tables, writes and deletes data every time it performs a complex query, just so that other users can have a chance of accessing the original source data, then I would hate to see how it performs without all that. Actually I've seen it perform okay in a development or test environment, and as soon as you release it to real users with increasing volumes of data it grinds to a halt.

With Oracle, all of that is automatically done for you by the database so you can just issue your query and away you go. I think that pays for itself just there, managing code is a pain, the less of it the better.

Martin Burbridge Received on Thu May 09 2002 - 19:33:22 CDT