Re: Nukeing Oracle 8.0.5 from NT Server

From: Darwin <Darwin_nospam_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 15:40:18 -0500

You rebooted after deleting the entries from the control set? After reboot you should be able to remove the files and delete program files Oracle directory

Believe it was 7.X that left a ton of .DLL in system32 directory, not sure if it is the same for this. I believe they all had ORA in the name, a quick search should locate them. Don't delete, move (don't want to break something else...) When I was installing 8.1.6 it would not let me choose ORAhome location and some other things until I removed the files. Once the files were moved, the installation was successful.

HTH "Ed Stevens" <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow> wrote in message news:3cdaadac.271403928_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com...
> On Thu, 09 May 2002 15:44:35 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Ed Stevens wrote:
> >
> >> Platform: Oracle 8.0.5 on NT 4
> >>
> >> Trying to totall eradicate Oracle SE 8.0.5 from an NT server.
Installer won't
> >> remove itself or the Required Support Files. Claims I have to stop all
Oracle
> >> services, even though all Oracle services (as listed in the Services
control
> >> panel) are stopped. OK, the Oracle installer can only do so much.
Going on.

> >> Tried to delete the \Orant directory. Balks at several of the .DLLs,
claiming
> >> they are in use. Remember, all Oracle services are started. OK, I'll
go on to
> >> the registry. Deleted HKLM\Software\Oracle. Deleted all Oracle
services from
> >> HKLM\system\CurrenControlSet. Searching through the registry for any
other
> >> instances of "ora" Obviously a lot of false hits on things that simply
had
> >> "ora" as part of a string of characters (like "EudORA") but I also get
a lot of
> >> actual oracle references in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID. Things like
HCR\CLSID\{ a
> >> big hex value here }\ToolboxBitmap32; (default)=d:\orant\bin\oradc.ocx,
1.

> >> Anybody have any idea what these CLSID entries are, can I leave them
alone
> >> before installing 8.1.7, should I remove them, if so how?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >> --
> >> Ed Stevens
> >> (Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)
> >
> >You can make the decision as to what to touch or leave alone if you read
the
> >documentation on the CD that tells you how to install and upgrade the
product. That
> >same information can be found at http://technet.oracle.com.
> >
> >But generally to remove Oracle from a Windows machine.
> >
> >1) User ORADIM to drop the Windows services: oradim -delete -sid
<sid_name>
> >2) Reboot
> >3) Drop all directories containing Oracle application and database files
including
> >those hidden under C:\Program Files
> >4) Clean out all Oracle entries in the registry ... carefully avoiding
those that
> >refer to Oracle but are not from Oracle such as those related to
Microsoft's Oracle
> >ODBC drivers
> >5) Reboot
> >
> >Daniel Morgan
> >
> Yes, I have read those docs as well as a couple of technical bulletins
from
> MetaLink. Bottom line is Oracle (especially pre-8.1) does a lousy job of
> un-installing itself. The documented steps don't always work -- thinking
> services are running when they aren't, leaving OS level locks on files so
they
> can't be deleted manually, trash left in the registry -- all kinds of
little
> 'gotcha's that keep you from making the machine look like it never saw
Oracle.