Re: Archivelog mode question - simple

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 21:04:22 +0200

Wether the database is in archivelog mode or not is recorded in the controlfile.
You can recognize it because you need to do an "alter database...." command for it.
Generally speaking effects of "alter database...." commands are stored in the controlfile.

If you want an archiver process to be started every time you start the database you set init.ora parmeter log_archive_start=TRUE. Other log_archive% parameters configure # processes, where to write etc... So yes, the database will archive until you change it; no, you don't have to do it every time you startup.

To check if the database runs in archive log mode you can use commands: a. in svrmgrl (or sqlplus / as sysdba): archive log list b. in sqlplus with proper privs: select log_mode from v$database Also select * from v$log gives info about the online redo log files and if they are already archived or not.
View v$log_history shows a history of all log switches (the number of rows is set in "create database..." or "create controlfile...", default on Unix 1600 rows). Very usefull to see how much archiving is generated (or will be generated if that database would switch to archive log mode; get the log file size from v$log) and how much disk space it requires. A view that looks like v$log_history is v$archived_log. Note that all these views get the information from the controlfile (and can therefore be queried in a mounted (not open) database too).

On the documentation CD (or on Technet) check for the book "Oracle8i Reference" that describes all init.ora parameters, V$ views and static dictionary views in detail. Browse now and then in this book and you will pick up a lot of knowledge.

steve deno <sldcrew2k_at_yahoo.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 8e6b14d8.0205090907.53a562f6_at_posting.google.com...