Re: Archivelog mode question - simple

From: Svend Jensen <Svend_at_OracleCare.Com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 20:35:38 +0200

steve deno wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When you edit your init file to start archiving, then issue alter
> database archivelog, Will the database automatically archive until
> you change that? Or do you have to do it every time you start up?
>
> Also, I don't find a parameter for telling if it's in archivelogmode
> or not. Do you just have to check the log directory to tell?
>
> Thanks

Archivelog/noarchivelog modes are not changed by instance bounching, startup, shutdowns.
The archivelog mode can only be changed when the database is in mount mode. You must shut it down first. Then startup mount, alter database (no)archivelog, alter database open.

The view v_$database tells you the archivelog mode.

When using archivelog mode, in init.ora set archivelog_start=true if you dont want archive manualy and/or your logfiles to fill up and all dml to stop when all redologs got filled up and were not archived. Then a logshift cant be performed when running archivelog mode because the redologs must be archived before they can be reopened for writing.

/Svend Jensen Received on Thu May 09 2002 - 13:35:38 CDT