Re: Is that true: IBM overtakes Oracle in total database sales

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 11:57:40 +0100

Now let me see I reckon that that price will include some increased downtime, 6months to a years worth of reduced dba productivity, 3 months or so of recoding of apps (and maybe replacing the pissed off dba who left for a company that values their technical input).

in the UK a 4 processor license for std edition is available online for £46k including support and update subscription. Even if the purchase price of sql were zero the costs of conversion would likely exceed that 46k. Now I'm not saying that one should ignore purchase price but if you insist on costing comparative systems at least make sure that you include all the costs.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA