Re: Benchmarks was Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 9 May 2002 00:31:43 -0700

Sailesh Krishnamurthy <seesignature_at_cs.berkeley.edu> wrote in message news:<mjqsn52mypb.fsf_at_localhost.localdomain>...
> However, I don't think you quite understand the sheer effort that goes
> into publishing an audited benchmark. If you really believe that
> vendors just "special case" their benchmarks with an "if" statement to
> say "ha .. this is TPC-C .. do this", then there is no point
> continuing the discussion. I think that kind of behaviour is ethically
> wrong, and I would doubt if any vendor will engage in quite that kind
> of chicanery.

Maybe that kind of behaviour is ethically wrong, but oftenly used. I do not think that is even possible to cheat in TPC benchmark, but in non-database area we've seen a lot of cheating in benchmarking recently.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.