RMAN backup quesiton regarding attached tape drives.

From: Bernie <bernie.milosavljevic_at_wesley.com.au>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 06:22:00 GMT

Hi,
Im moving from Ora 7 to 8i in the near future and will be using RMAN.

I have two box's running AIX each in an HACMP cluster. I have a tape library connected to my standby node which is currently doing my backups using Tivoli Storage Manager.

I looked through the documentaiton on this and it seemed that I could do my backups from the one node to the one tape drive. I thought this was fantastic as it would save me the cost of one TSM licence.

Further investigation and it looks like I was wrong in that the allocaiton of the channel to my tape drive is done from what ever machine the database I am backing up is on.

Does anyone know if this is the case for sure?

Thanks
Bernie Received on Thu May 09 2002 - 01:22:00 CDT