Re: lies damn lies and benchmarks

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 20:47:23 -0600

> > Pablo Sanchez wrote:
> >
> > > "Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message
> > MS
> > product.

> > because MS
> > >
> > > I'm curious, why do you doubt it? Why do you think it's not a
good
> > > product?
> > > --
> >
> > One reason one might doubt it is that part of the development team
that
> > built the underlying engine left Microsoft three years ago and
started
> > their own company. Their choice was Oracle on Linux for their own
company.

MS SQL is based on Sybase SQL Server 4.x (.1? I can't recall exactly). I'm not clear on what you mean by 'the development team that built the underlying engine' because of that fact.

> > But I do think SQL Server is a decent product. The important thing
is that
> > one must understand its limitations and try to use it in
situations where
> > it is clearly out of its league: A common mistake.

What are some of its limitations that you perceive? Sure it doesn't have read consistency but clearly that's not an imperative for an RDBMS. It has a cost associated with it which, arguably, can be counter-weighted by in-memory locking schemes.

> MYSQL is not fully relational, it is not ACID compliant. Sorry, I
> don't feel it is ready for prime time. It is not an enterprise level
> database.

I'm not sure why you brought up MYSQL, we were talking about MS SQL. Reading error?

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
mailto:pablo_at_hpdbe.com