Re: RMAN connection problems (Solaris/Oracle8i)

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 23:50:08 +0200

The only thing that looks consistent to me from all your trials is that the service name "demo" found in tnsnames.ora resolves to a database with database name "oratst" (in lower case) with probably a SID "demo". Beside that you seem to have a database with SID "ORATST" (in upper case) and database name "ORATST" (also uppercase). Remember that the database name is not the same as the ORACLE_SID (although it is a good habit to keep them the same except when running parallel server or RAC).

To verify this connect with sys/xxx_at_demo and run the queries: SELECT * FROM v$database; (gives database name) SELECT * FROM v$thread; (gives the SID in column instance) Then connect with sys/xxx when ORACLE_SID=ORATST and run same queries again. Databases should be mouted or opened for this. This should make thinks clear I hope.

Be aware of the fact that when you specify a service name (the @demo part in the connect) the value of ORACLE_SID is of no relevance anymore. The service name will be resolved via the Net8 configuration. Also verify that variable $TWO_TASK is not set which is a default value for the service name when not specified. And when TWO_TASK is set it overrules ORACLE_SID, so again ORACLE_SID is not relevant anymore then.

D. Joseph Creighton <djc_at_cc.umanitoba.ca> schreef in berichtnieuws abc2do$se4$1_at_canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca...
> I trust you'll all roll your eyes and nod expectantly when I say I was
> having no troubles with things last week.
>
> I'm attempting to connect to a 'demo' database (not mounted) however I
> seem to be ending up in 'oratest' (up and open) instead. I have no real
> idea what is going on with this or why I suddenly cannot connect.
>
> I've cleaned this up a bit so it's easier to follow the bouncing ball.
> Also, demo is indeed still in the $ORACLE_HOME/admin/tnsnames.ora file
> as it should be. Lastly, I've not brought up or shutdown any instance
> between the first command listed here and the last; all commands were
> done sequentially.
>
> # trial 1; unexpected behaviour since I pass '@demo' and 'oratest' is up
> <oracle_at_skat:733>$ echo $ORACLE_SID
> oratest
> <oracle_at_skat:734>$ rman
> Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> RMAN> connect target sys/xxx_at_demo;
> RMAN-06006: connected to target database: oratest (not mounted)
> RMAN> exit
>
> # trial 2; expected behavior based on $ORACLE_SID above; note db is up
> <oracle_at_skat:742>$ rman
> Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> RMAN> connect target
> RMAN-06005: connected to target database: ORATEST (DBID=2991274011)
> RMAN> exit
>
> # trial 3; unexpected behaviour since both env var and @demo are used
> <oracle_at_skat:743>$ ORACLE_SID=demo
> <oracle_at_skat:744>$ echo $ORACLE_SID
> demo
> <oracle_at_skat:745>$ rman
> Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> RMAN> connect target sys/xxx_at_demo;
> RMAN-06006: connected to target database: oratest (not mounted)
> RMAN> exit
>
> # trial 4; unexpected behavior based on $ORACLE_SID above
> <oracle_at_skat:746>$ rman
> Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> RMAN> connect target;
> RMAN-06006: connected to target database: oratest (not mounted)
> RMAN> exit
>
> # trial 5; another documented connection method fails
> <oracle_at_skat:747>$ rman target sys/xxx_at_demo catalog rman/xxx_at_rcat
> Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> RMAN-06006: connected to target database: oratest (not mounted)
> RMAN-06008: connected to recovery catalog database
> RMAN> exit
>
> # trial 6; another documented means of setting SID fails
> <oracle_at_skat:748>$ ORACLE_SID=demo;export ORACLE_SID
> <oracle_at_skat:749>$ echo $ORACLE_SID
> demo
> <oracle_at_skat:750>$ rman
> Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> RMAN> connect target sys/xxx_at_demo;
> RMAN-06006: connected to target database: oratest (not mounted)
> RMAN> exit
>
> # trial 7; let's use another db; good results
> <oracle_at_skat:751>$ rman
> Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> RMAN> connect target sys/xxx_at_vipp;
> [...]
eh? Received on Wed May 08 2002 - 16:50:08 CDT