9i Merge

From: GC <gconron_at_cyberspace.org>
Date: 8 May 2002 11:38:09 -0700

Reviewing the 9i documentation regarding the merge function I have a few questions left unanswered. Currently we run the usual pl/sql loop of insert a new record and update the record if it exists. However, the merge function appears to take care of that for you. However, there is no mention of the amount of rollback created by this (the pl/sql loop will commit after every x records to prevent rollback blowout). Does anybody have any experience - positive or negative - dealing with the merge function on a somewhat large (> 1TB) data warehouse system? FYI, technical architecture is - Oracle 9.0.1.3
Table is partitioned - both local and global indexes. flat file is loaded into a temp table prior pl/sql loading the production table.

Many thanks,
GC Received on Wed May 08 2002 - 13:38:09 CDT