Re: lies damn lies and benchmarks

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 15:34:12 GMT

Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> "Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message
> > > MSSQL is a serious competitor in this market and not just because
> MS
> > > marketing is better than Oracle marketing. They are pushing a good
> product.
> > >

> > Doubt it. The good product bit. Only reason people use it is
> because MS
> > makes it so easy and cheap to use in NT. Nothing else.
>
> I'm curious, why do you doubt it? Why do you think it's not a good
> product?
> --
> Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
> mailto:pablo_at_hpdbe.com
> http://www.hpdbe.com
> Available for short-term and long-term contracts

One reason one might doubt it is that part of the development team that built the underlying engine left Microsoft three years ago and started their own company. Their choice was Oracle on Linux for their own company.

But I do think SQL Server is a decent product. The important thing is that one must understand its limitations and try to use it in situations where it is clearly out of its league: A common mistake.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed May 08 2002 - 10:34:12 CDT