Global Temp Tables - What do I tell my dba?

From: Eric <fast_johnnyz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 May 2002 08:32:14 -0700

I'm using 2 global temporary tables to store some information I'm pulling from a DB2 database.
I process these two tables with some selects and updates. These tables consist of 5-6 columns with each
row about 80-90 wide. We're about to go live with this procedure and since global temp tables
use the user's temp tablespace, should I have my dba increase the temp tablespace by the
largest data that both of these tables will store?

Also, after reading Tom Kyte's book, (great book...) I am a bit confused. He says that
a global temp table is stored in a user's temp tablespace. Well, when I create the
table, there are no rows in it. Does it just automatcally site in the tablespace or
in memory. Also, after I fill it, is it always on disk or in memory first then to disk
when there is no memory left. (like a large sort)

Thanks.
Eric Received on Wed May 08 2002 - 10:32:14 CDT