Re: drop then create index or the inverse

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_nospam_at_singnet_nospam.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 21:37:00 +0800

A question here :
Does it happen that a CREATE INDEX can use an existing Index [I'm not talking of a ALTER INDEX .. REBUILD]. e.g. if existing Index INDX_1 is on Columns A, B and you wish to create a new Index INDX_2 on Column A alone, can (or will) the INDX_2 creation use INDX_1 ? What if INDX_2 is to be created on Columns A, B, C.

[I might drop INDX_1 after creating INDX_2 if I need INDX_2 and not INDX_1 in my database].

Hemant K Chitale
http://hkchital.tripod.com