Re: lies damn lies and benchmarks

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 23:20:13 +1000

In article <3cd90ea7$0$8507$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>, you said (and I quote):

> Bugger. I appear to be a banana.

Call me B2. ;-)

> well OK HP then but you know what I mean.

Yeah, sorry. I was just ranting. Darn Alphas and VAX clusters: nobody wanted them to continue but they're still around even after two name changes... Could it be because they were damn good to start with?

> Easy,cheap, does the job. sounds like a good product to me.

But definitely not the only one in those conditions. In fact even Oracle can be cheap and easy if you run it in the right platform. MS can only run things in NT, that's the only platform they develop for. And ultimately, the lack of choice in OS will be the reason people move away from mssql.
( Sorry, I meant W2K. Or XP. Or whatever their marketing wants to call the same code this week... )

> One could argue
> that people only use Oracle because it scales to multi-terabyte partitioned
> clustered solutions for 100,000 employee companies. then it gets used to
> serve a product catalogue on a web site with ten thousand visits a year.

good point! :-D

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto