Seeking Advice: MS SQL DBA learning Oracle?

From: SQLJoe <sqljoe_at_aol.com>
Date: 08 May 2002 13:06:58 GMT

I am a recently laid off MS SQL DBA of five years. I would like to have to some advice on learning Oracle.

1)How difficult is it to learn Oracle? What are the differences between MS SQL and Oracle? I know both are ANSI-92 complaint RDBMS. What is the major differences between SQL, SQL plus, and PL/SQL?

2)Given the fact that both DB2 and MS SQL are taking market share away from Oracle, how does its future look like? Is the declining marketshare due to lesser technology or dubious pricing schemes by Oracle?

3)How will someone like me benefit from learning Oracle? How will it increase my marketability in the job market?

4)What are some of the best books to learn Oracle? What is the best way to learn Oracle?

4)How important is Unix knowledge to a Oracle DBA?

Thank you in advance.

Jinsoo
MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD, CCNA Received on Wed May 08 2002 - 08:06:58 CDT