alter tablespace fails but makes commit

From: Pablo Gomez <pgomeza_at_adinet.com.uy>
Date: 7 May 2002 15:56:13 -0700

Consider this transaction:

SQL> commit;
Commit complete.

SQL> select * from emp;
no rows selected

SQL> insert into emp (empno, deptno) values (100, 10); 1 row created.

SQL> select * from emp;

     EMPNO ENAME JOB MGR HIREDATE SAL COMM
---------- ---------- --------- ---------- --------- ----------

    DEPTNO

       100
        10

SQL> alter tablespace a123 offline;
alter tablespace a123 offline
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00959: tablespace 'A123' does not exist

SQL> rollback;
Rollback complete.

SQL> select * from emp;

     EMPNO ENAME JOB MGR HIREDATE SAL COMM

    DEPTNO

       100
        10

As I can see the "alter tablespace ..." command makes a commit, what it's ok because is a ddl sentence, but I didn't know that when this sentence fails it makes a commit, like in this example where the tablespace not exits.

Is this ok? Are there other situations similars where happens the same?

Pablo Gomez Aguilera
Twins Informatica
Montevideo-Uruguay Received on Tue May 07 2002 - 17:56:13 CDT