Re: Extents & MAXEXTENTS

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 20:15:34 GMT

Md Irfan wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to know the default Maxextents storage clause of Create
> Table. I have for example two tables:
>
> TABLE_NAME INITIAL_EX NEXT_EXTEN MIN_EXTENT MAX_EXTENT PCT_INCREA
> T1 262215680 125849600 1 121 50
> T2 178319360 83894272 1 121 50
>
> Can anyone help me in understanding if initial_extent is not defined
> while creating table, how does the value of initial_extent for T1, T2
> come from?
> When I query, dba_extents I get extent_id is 0 (zero) for all the
> tables. I have noticed that initial_extent keeps on growing but no
> changes in extent_id (always zero). Is that the data written in the
> first extent only.
> Also what in case if table needs extents more than max_extents.
> Thanks...

There is none. It is set at the tablespace level. Take a look at all_tablespaces.

But I notice a pct_increase of 50%, also set at the tablespace level apparently. This is horrifying. I strongly urge you to:

  1. Never build a table without a storage clause specifying pct_increase 0.
  2. Drop and rebuild every table with this setting.
  3. Change the tablespace default so that this can not happen again.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue May 07 2002 - 15:15:34 CDT