Re: http://www.hjrdba.com/

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 05:53:04 +1000

"koert54" <koert54_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:CNSB8.62692$Ze.9675_at_afrodite.telenet-ops.be...
> > I have to say that evidence of the vast amounts of material help was
> > seriously lacking. The vast materials to which I had access was a 15
page
> > pre-release beta document (that described the beta version, not the
> release
> > version). I talked to no-one (it was the first 9i teach in Australia, so
> > there was no-one to talk to). And I only discovered I had access to
> Metalink
> > 2 weeks ago when the security bug was mentioned.
> >
> > So, not that this changes anything at all, but to say I have access to
> vast
> > amounts of privileged information or resources is somewhat inaccurate. I
> > find Jonathan's and Steve's sites much the most useful source of
> > information. Then this newsgroup. And then my own botched experiments.
>
> Hmmm - discovered you had access to Metalink just 2 weeks ago ???

Yup. When asked whether the security thing was a known bug, I had to ask my manager how to connect to Metalink so I could check. Maybe that was three weeks ago. I lose track.

> And I hope you've already heared about WebIV ???

Er, no....

>If you take a look at
> for example the internal tuning and the public tuning courses - there's a
> world
> of difference in level of detail between the two ...

I wouldn't know an internal tuning course if it came up and bit me. The only performance tuning I've sat on is the public one (twice, given by a colleague from Melbourne), and what was advertised as a public one, but since it was run by Steve Adams, it soon turned out not to be (I think his first line was 'put the books away, because we won't be needing them'!!!). Guess which one I found useful.

> If I would work for Oracle - that's the first thing I would ask for -
> accounts
> for Metalink and WebIV.

As an instructor, I'd ask for a decent test environment first. Knowledge can be picked up in a multitude of places; the chance to practice what you have to teach is less readily accessible. Guess what we don't have?

> No offense but I find this a bit hard to believe you don't have access to
> all
> these resources ... maybe look a bit harder :-)

Well, I told you a true story. Maybe if I did look harder, I would find this wealth of resources I'm told exists. Maybe if I were a developer for Oracle, I would find them, too. Humble instructors (without, I may add, even instructor versions of the course notes) appear not to be privvy to such things.

Regards
HJR

> "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message
> > "Sean M" <smckeown_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > [Snip]
> >
> > > A site like Howard's wouldn't be much different. Howard, by virtue of
> > > being an Oracle employee, is privy to vast amounts of information not
> > > available to the general public. He has free access to Oracle
> > > University materials, free access to other Oracle-employed experts,
> > > internal Oracle-only documentation, and gets to hone his skills on
> > > Oracle's nickel as an instructor.
> >
> > I just thought I'd comment on the above with some true facts.
> >
> > In about September of last year, we began teaching 9i. You may recall
that
> > the Solaris version came out first, around about June-ish; then the
Linux