Re: oerr 6508

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 15:13:02 GMT

Kevin Morris wrote:

> I have an Oracle 8.1.6.3 database on Sun Solaris 2.6
>
> I have an anonymous pl/sql block which calls a number of stored
> procedures. Within these procedures I drop/recreate some tables which
> makes some of the called stored procedures invalid, so I have a stored
> procedure that I call to compile them.
>
> Anyway, I get a oerr 6508 pl/sql could not find the program unit being
> called when I try to call a particular procedure.
>
> I know that the procedure is not invalid at this point in time,
> although it was invalid earlier. I have tried flushing the shared pool
> and I have tried simply rerunning the procedure when I get this error,
> but neither method works. If I exit sqlplus and then try again all
> works well.
>
> So my question is - is there a way to avoid this error (I guess not)
> and when I get this error is there a way to correct or work around it
> without exiting my original sqlplus session
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

I can't help you with your question because it would never occur to me to be dropping and recreating tables in a procedure. Why are you doing this? It seems to me the issue can, and should, be solved by finding a different (and likely better) method of accomplishing the same goal.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue May 07 2002 - 10:13:02 CDT