Re: Benchmarks was Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 06:45:25 -0600

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:3cd7929e$0$8507$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...

> What I am saying though is that the systems that get put through
TPC-C are
> high end systems that in themselves are unlikely to be (I would say
cannot
> be) representative of many shops hardware and software
configurations. We
> certainly don't have 3/4 million to spend on the hardware and
software costs
> of our database systems. If I did want to compare across systems at
that
> level , and I were convinced of the usefulness of benchmarking, then
TPC
> would be a good place to look. Unfortunately neither of those two
conditions
> is true.
>
> The first is obviously just a function of organisation and system
size.

> The second however springs from what I believe to be a (common)
error in
> creating benchmarks. The argument that shops cannot afford the time
and
> resource to bvench their apps on a variety of hardware and software
is fine.
> However I fail to see that it follows that a third party
benchmarking what
> it considers to be code representative of applications in general is
an
> equivalent replacement.If this argument holds then it would follow
that
> faced with a choice between say db2 and oracle I could pick the
hardware
> that most closely matched mine and pick the fastest/best tpc/$
result and
> know that the same would apply to my app.

It doesn't follow because what should dictate a choice in an DBMS is not speed but how your shop is tooled as well as, IMHO, market-share (for various reasons). Additionally, you point out that there may be some features that your site is dependent on. I don't agree with that because for the most part, all DBMS' are the same. You can get them to do what you want to do and in the end, it's people who matter.

The TPC provide additional data that supports my point: they're all the same. <g>

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
mailto:pablo_at_hpdbe.com